Friday, January 9, 2015

Favorite Legend of Korra Episodes

Since I love lists, a top ten list of my favorite Legend of Korra episodes will be my first post on here.
(images taken from avatarspirit.net)


10. Out of the Past
Flashbacks to the Gaang. Mako full of concern for Korra. Amon resisting bloodbending and saying he is the solution, revealing yet another reason to be terrified of him.  Korra demonstrating how amazing she is and escaping herself while everyone is trying to rescue her. One of my favorites of Book 1. And I love Book 1.

9. Rebirth
One of the most entertaining episodes to watch. The whole Tenzin sequence with recruiting airbenders reminded me of avatar and what I loved about it. We also get the introduction of Kai and the birth of Kainora. Also...Zuko.

8. Long Live the Queen
I love every side plot in this episode. Mako's concern for Korra and cheering on Bolin. Korra and Asami breaking out of their prison. And the disturbing death of the Earth Queen at the hands of Zaheer. I watched this episode over and over.

7. The Sting
I want a spin off series of Mako solving crimes in Republic City with cameos by Korra, Asami, and Bolin. This episode reminded me of the mood of Book 1. It almost feels like a noir.

6. Light in the Dark
The season finale that felt like a series finale. Korra realizing how powerful she was, not as the Avatar, but as Korra. Dark and filled with tension, it truly felt like the end of the world. It was grand and heroic, and the series never matched that feeling again. 


5. A New Spiritual Age
I screamed when I first saw Iroh walking up. His lesson to Korra about looking for the light instead of the dark is one of my favorite moments on the show. Adorable Korra asking, "I can make the sun shine?!" just makes me so happy. An absolutely beautiful episode. 

4. And the Winner Is...
I love all the probending in this episode. Korra holding onto Mako and then throwing him back up and then Mako winking at Tahno..those were the days. I love Lin reaching back down for Korra, not to catch her, but to throw her back up so she can go after Amon. It all leads to one of my favorite fight scenes.

3. Beginnings Part 2
Every time I watch it, it never fails to make me cry. It raises the entire series, including the original, to another level. A masterpiece in storytelling that shows how powerful animation can be. 

2. Welcome to Republic City
I appreciate this episode so much more now that the series ended the way it did. My favorite introduction to a protagonist ever. There is Korra dominating her fire bending test. Korra being so ready to take on her responsibilities as the the Avatar and begin her life outside the compound. Korra taking matters into her own hands and running away. Korra challenging gangsters and standing up for a stranger. Korra hugging Tenzin and his family, lifting them off the ground. Korra being extremely confident, aggressive and outspoken yet not a stereotype, things few female characters are allowed to be.  As soon as little Korra proclaimed herself the Avatar and we had to "deal with it", I knew I was in love. What an amazing character establishing episode.

1. Endgame
There is no other episode that comes close to how much I love Endgame. I can't even describe why I love it so much, just that it was everything that I wanted. I still remember exactly the way I felt when I watched it the first time. Non-stop action, twists, and Korra restoring Lin's bending as everyone looks on in awe. It was very much about Korra, not anyone else. I love it so much that a part of me wishes this had been the series finale.


No comments:

Post a Comment